…perhaps because you like to be individual and not follow the crowd to the usual places. Because you’re curious and like adventures provided they’re safe. Because you appreciate quality and comfort but you aren’t interested in luxury – and luxury prices.
Jungle Tide is certainly different. We think it’s unique in being a British homestay in the hill country, run by the daughter of a tea planter whose great grandfather came to plant in Ceylon in the 1880s.
But let’s leave it to our guests to explain why you should come here! They have put us in the top one per cent of all guest houses in the Kandy area and in the whole of Sri Lanka (Trip Advisor ratings) and here’s why:
- They enjoy the atmosphere. It’s a real ‘home from home’. Everyone eats around the large dining table and swaps travellers’ tales, experiences, suggestions for where to stay (or avoid!), opinions, ideas and jokes.
- There’s lots to do whatever the weather. And let’s be honest, it does rain quite a lot in the Sri Lankan hill country.But we have plenty of indoor and outdoor games for all ages and a big library of books. A lounge TV with children’s channels amongst others. A hectare of gardens with a stream. And a large swimming pool.
- They love the mountain views, the clean air, the peace and quiet, and the wildlife. Waking up to birdsong and distant temple sounds is so much better than being in crowded, polluted Kandy and waking up to car horns and shouted voices.
- They go mad about the food. Rani is as good a cook of Sri Lankan food as you will find. And we’re pretty good at international cuisine too. Sally’s puddings are a legend. Many parents have told us that Jungle Tide is the only place in Sri Lanka where their kids have enjoyed eating. And we’re always up for special treats if it’s someone’s birthday or honeymoon. If you’re in luck and the weather’s fine we may have a BBQ. And Rani will show you how traditional Sri Lankan food is prepared.
- We use eggs from our own free range hens and whenever possible fruits and vegetables from our own and neighbours’ gardens. Home-made jams and pickles. And all our bread is home-baked.
- We provide a very cheap laundry service, just Rs500/- for a full machine load up to 10kg, returned washed and dried (if you want clothes pressing it’s extra).
- They like the flexibility of a homestay. You can book B&B or half board and though we don’t do lunches there is a hotel a few minutes’ walk away which does. Or you can use our kitchen and prepare your own lunch if you’ve bought the ingredients (feel free to use our herbs, spices etc.). We do packed breakfasts if you have to leave early. Tea,coffee, drinking water, biscuits and fruit are all on a help yourself basis. Although we can’t sell alcohol you are welcome to bring your own and there’s no corkage charge. You have a shelf in the guests’ fridge to keep your own things cool whether it’s wine, beer, soft drinks, chocolates, baby food or medicines.
Our guests come from all over the world though mainly from Europe. We welcome young travellers and couples, families and people more our own age. Jungle Tide is especially good for big family get-togethers – grandparents, parents and children.
Our village, Uduwela, is a typical rural Sri Lankan community. Walk around, either by yourself or guided by Martin, our housekeeper, and meet tea pluckers, look at the kovils and temple, discover the traditional wood-fired bakery and visit the school and kindergarten. If you’re lucky there may be a procession or other ceremony going on – there often is.
If you’re staying with us for several days or longer, Jungle Tide is a great base for day trips both around the Kandy area and further afield – see the Getting Around page and contact us for details.
If you book the whole house you can choose to self-cater if you prefer, or have meals prepared by our staff. Please see “Hiring the whole house” for details.